Should leader's inspire us?
This is an issue that's debated in leadership circles all the time. What is the #1 priority of a leader? Is it to create a plan, have a vision, delegate to subordinates, day to day operations, and on, and on? I don't know the "right" answer, but I do know what I think.
I think that "inspiration" is a key component for an exceptional leader. There are a many leaders both past and present that are not inspirational, but to be truly great a leader needs to inspire those he/she leads to great accomplishments.
The key point for me is that a leaders does not just inspire people with words. A leaders can inspire through actions, with a clear vision, or with an idea. Steve Jobs of Apple inspires with his ideas. Jack Welch of GE inspired by his actions and determination to be great. Walt Disney inspired with his unwavering vision of what he wanted to create.
That leads to another question. Are the rules of "inspiration" different for leaders in different disciplines. Do Presidents/Politicians have to have the oratory to inspire voters? Can they inspire with vision and ideas like a CEO or entrepenuer can?
I don't think that you can, and I refer back to history to back this up. Who were the most inspirational leaders in the history of the United States, or the world for that matter? Abraham Lincoln, FDR, Ronald Reagon, Winston Churchill....the list goes on. They were all great orators. I think the words of our politicians do inspire us, and I think we need that inspiration to mobilize us to vote and to support.
Food for thought...I encourage you to go to Wikipedia, YouTube, or Google and research our greatest leaders. Weigh in with your thoughts.....
I think that "inspiration" is a key component for an exceptional leader. There are a many leaders both past and present that are not inspirational, but to be truly great a leader needs to inspire those he/she leads to great accomplishments.
The key point for me is that a leaders does not just inspire people with words. A leaders can inspire through actions, with a clear vision, or with an idea. Steve Jobs of Apple inspires with his ideas. Jack Welch of GE inspired by his actions and determination to be great. Walt Disney inspired with his unwavering vision of what he wanted to create.
That leads to another question. Are the rules of "inspiration" different for leaders in different disciplines. Do Presidents/Politicians have to have the oratory to inspire voters? Can they inspire with vision and ideas like a CEO or entrepenuer can?
I don't think that you can, and I refer back to history to back this up. Who were the most inspirational leaders in the history of the United States, or the world for that matter? Abraham Lincoln, FDR, Ronald Reagon, Winston Churchill....the list goes on. They were all great orators. I think the words of our politicians do inspire us, and I think we need that inspiration to mobilize us to vote and to support.
Food for thought...I encourage you to go to Wikipedia, YouTube, or Google and research our greatest leaders. Weigh in with your thoughts.....
Labels: inspiration, leadership, politics

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home